LOTCC – Endings

[Walking Around - Solving Puzzles - Endings]

[When we last left our hero, he had activated the Invincible Robot only to have it turn on him!!  It has told him (or her, if you said you were female) he must take it to the CyberCow.

[There are two ways of dealing with this.  You can comply with the Robot, or you can fight it.  We’ll comply first, and play through to the end, and then we’ll see what happens when we fight it…]

CyberCow v. Invincible Robot

>w
You move west.
You are at the well.   The rope, which is tied to the well quite securely, leads down.  Your humble abode is to the east.  Fields are to the west.  The chapel is on top of the hill to the south.  Down the hill to the north there is the bus stop.
It is daytime.  You can move north, east, south, west and down.  The Robot marches in  from the east.
-BRING. ME. TO. THE. CYBERCOW. – NOW.-

>d
You move down.
You are standing at the bottom of the town well.  The ground is slightly moist here.  The end of the rope dangles here, providing you with a way back up.  To the west you can see the narrow entrance to the CyberCow’s lair.
The CyberCow is here.  You can move west and up.  The Robot marches in  from above.  The Robot and the CyberCow lock eyes.
The Robot begins charging its ray weapon.
–Ah:  there’s really no good place to be in the bottom of the well here, if the Robot fires that thing.

>up
The Robot blocks your path!  A little indicator light on the Robot starts to flash.

>w
You move west.  This is the narrow entrance to the CyberCow’s underground lair.  You are standing here fighting off the pricker bushes on both sides.  Sounds of battle still rage to the east.  To the west you seem to see a light of some kind.  You can move east and west.
Just as you reach the lair entrance, behind you there is a bellow and a flash of light.
A thing falls near your foot.
In the bottom of the well to the east, the sounds of battle continue.

>x thing
It seems to be an irregularly cut steak, done medium-well.

>take it
Still hot!

>i
You are carrying a note, the flashlight and the steak.

>eat it
You eat the steak.  Not bad, but it could do with a pinch of salt!

>w
You move west.  The CyberCow lair is decorated mostly in teak, a fine wood for patio furniture.  There is a teak recliner in the SW corner, a swinging teak bench against the south wall (30″ plasma TV against the north), and a small half-fridge, like the ones you’d find in a college dorm or a hotel room, with a microwave on it, in the southeast corner.  Covering almost the entire west wall is a huge map of the world.  Also a fine rolltop desk is against that wall.
You have a sneaking suspicion that this lair has recently been Feng-Shuied.  You can only move east.

>x map
This huge map of the world covers almost the entire west wall of the lair.  Different countries and regions are color-coded and there are many notations all over.

>read notations
It takes some deciphering — but it appears to be a global strategy for ending world hunger.

>open desk
You open the rolltop desk.  Inside the rolltop desk is some bills, an envelope and a sticky note.

>read bills
You could probably work out the CyberCow’s finances if you put enough time into it.

>turn on tv
Ah — actually, it appears that the widescreen plasma TV only can be turned on by means of the remote control:  which you don’t see around anyplace.  A trickle of water runs past your feet from the direction of the well.

>open fridge
You open the small fridge.  Frozen snail dinners and some beer are inside the small fridge.

>take beer
You take some beer from the small fridge.

>drink beer
*sluuuuurp*  A trickle of water runs past your feet from the direction of the well.

>i
You are carrying the desperate letter, the flashlight and a beer can.

>x beer can
Quite empty.
Your feet are soaked.

>open envelope
You open the envelope.  A new letter is inside the envelope.  The furniture here is getting a little wobbly on account of all this water.

>read new letter

Frank–

Please forgive my having summoned you all the way out here for nothing; and then not even being around to greet you.  My investigation has revealed to my satisfaction that the CyberCow is not bent on world domination after all, and indeed since having worked out our initial misunderstandings the CyberCow and I have become fast friends.

I’m off to join the Peace Corps, or the Red Cross, or possibly to become a firefighter or a paramedic or something.

–C.

ps – Plans to the robot taped inside the churchbell — careful not to fall while getting them out.  (I couldn’t think of a better hiding place and I was feeling paranoid — lots of small things were going wrong at the time.)  Double check the robot’s programming before you activate it — or better yet just trash the damn thing.

Take care, my friend.

>read sticky note

“Don’t forget to deliver the letter to Frank.
xox
C.”

Surely your friend wasn’t so foolish as to forget that CyberCows cannot read?  The furniture here is beginning to become unmoored.

Escape the Lair of the CyberCow!

>look
The CyberCow lair is decorated mostly in teak, a fine wood for patio furniture.  There is a teak recliner in the SW corner, a swinging teak bench against the south wall (30″ plasma TV against the north), and a small half-fridge, like the ones you’d find in a college dorm or a hotel room, with a microwave on it, in the southeast corner.  Covering almost the entire west wall is a huge map of the world.  Also a fine rolltop desk is against that wall.
The teak furniture is taking remarkably well the water that flows in from the direction of the well.  Water is running into this room from the direction of the well.  You can only move east.

>e
You move east.
This is the narrow entrance to the CyberCow’s underground lair.  You are standing here fighting off the pricker bushes on both sides.  Sounds of battle still rage to the east.  To the west you seem to see a light of some kind.  You can move east and west.

>e
You move east.  The stone wall leads up to a small circular view of the sky.  A rope dangles here.  The dead husk of the Robot, pinned underneath the chin of the victorious yet disconsolate CyberCow, is coming soggily apart under the torrent of CyberCow tears.  CyberCow is here.  You can move west and up.

>up
You half-swim, half-climb over the sobbing CyberCow (which makes no protest) and climb the rope up out of the well.
Right behind you, the water level seems to rise as fast as you climb.

>look
You are at the well in the chapel yard.  Water is pouring out of the well, and you are wading.  Down the hill to the north there is the bus stop.  To the east there is your humble dwelling.  To the west there are fields.  Up the hill to the south there is the chapel.  You can move north, east, south and west.

[…you can move around the map while it’s flooding, but we’ll skip to the Chapel…]

>e
You move east.
A rickety spiral staircase leads upward.  It is still dry here.  The churchbell rests on its side.  You can move west and up.

>x bell
The upside-down bell is here.

>up
You move up.
You are at the top of the chapel’s bell tower.  A rickety spiral staircase leads down to the ground.  Also you can make your way outside to the steeple.  The empty bell chassis is here.  You can move down and out.

>out
You move out.
In all directions, there is only a vast, featureless sea:  the chapel rests on a rapidly dwindling island.  You can only move in.

>in
You move in.
You are at the top of the chapel’s bell tower.  A rickety spiral staircase leads down to the ground.  Also you can make your way outside to the steeple.  The empty bell chassis is here.  You can move down and out.

>d
You move down.
A rickety spiral staircase leads upward.  It is still dry here.  The churchbell rests on its side.  You can move west and up.

The Finale, v.1

>get in bell
You clamber into the bell.
The floodwater pours into the room, up-ending the bell, lifting the rim — and finally with a strange scraping sound, the bell is borne up off the ground.
With your grip on the cold iron rim of the bell, you try not to wonder how badly cracked the bell is.
The water carries the bell up the inside of the bell tower — you watch the spiral stairway unwind into the water below.

As the water level crests the platform and brings the bell to the very top of the tower, you grab hold of the bell chassis:
You pull your way along the rocker arm and outside.
The steeple sinks gradually into the water behind you.
You are careful to keep your weight opposite the crack, so the leaky surface of the bell stays out of the water.  The iron bell wouldn’t have to take on much water to sink like a rock–

It is night-time.  Moonlight shines silver on the water.

>look
You are careful to keep your weight opposite the crack, so the leaky surface of the bell stays out of the water.  The iron bell wouldn’t have to take on much water to sink like a rock–

It is night-time.  The moon, three days from full, casts your shadow on the water and the inward curve of the bell.
You’re cold.

>shiver
Indeed, you do.

>z
You pause a moment…

The sudden, familiar sound of fairy wings–

>x fairy
She’s flitting around all over the place — You strain to see her clearly in the moonlight–

>talk to fairy
Please use the format:  ASK [character] ABOUT [word]

>ask fairy about fairy
She doesn’t reply– she seems fixated on something in your hair–

>x hair
It’s not that easy to look at your own hair.  If you only had a mirror–

>x water
You look at your reflection in the water.  Oh– it looks like you have a berry stuck in your hair.  Doubtless it caught there when you were fighting your way through the pricker bushes at the CyberCow’s lair entrance.

>take berry
Examining your reflection, you tease the berry out of your hair.

>x fairy
The fairy avidly stares at the berry.

>give berry to fairy
You hold out the berry.
The fairy shifts its attention between your face and the berry–
–several times. Finally, and seemingly with some desperation, she snatches the berry out of your grasp and flies out of reach!  The fairy cicles warily out of reach, looking at you — and then at the berry in its grasp.
But over time, she looks more at the berry.

>z
You pause a moment…

The fairy settles on the bit of the bell rim furthest from you — near the chink — and, grappling with the berry, which is somewhat larger to her than a grapefruit is to a young child, messily devours the thing.

>z
You pause a moment…
With purple-red berry juice running all down her face, her bare arms, and all over her dress, the fairy looks at you– and smiles.
–The fairy lauches suddenly into the air, and flies in circles around you–

>z
You pause a moment…
The fairy circles behind you, bumps you in the top of the head once —
And is gone.
–It takes you a good long moment to realize what happened:
The fairy examined you from all angles —
And then, in the only place she considered safe, she kissed you.  And then left.

It wasn’t her.

***  The End  ***

Thank you for playing Lair of the CyberCow.

[If you wait a bit longer during flooding, from the steeple…]

In all directions, there is only a vast, featureless sea:  the water laps at the foot of the steeple.  You can only move in.

>in
You move in.
You are at the top of the chapel’s bell tower.  The water has risen up the inside of the bell tower, almost to a level with the platform you are standing on.  The inverted churchbell is borne up by the water, as if it were a little ship.  The empty bell chassis is here.  The water level is still rising.  You can only move out.

>climb onto chassis
You climb out onto the chassis.  The inverted churchbell is floating directly below you.

>down
You let go of the chassis and land in the bell!
You work yourself into a secure position in the bell, as the rising water continues to bear the bell upward.

As the water level crests the platform and brings the bell to the very top of the tower, you grab hold of the bell chassis:
You pull your way along the rocker arm and outside.
The steeple sinks gradually into the water behind you.
You are careful to keep your weight opposite the crack, so the leaky surface of the bell stays out of the water.  The iron bell wouldn’t have to take on much water to sink like a rock–

It is night-time.  Moonlight shines silver on the water.

[…]

[What happens if you don’t give the fairy the berry?]

>eat berry
You eat the berry.
It’s a brief burst of raspberry flavor, a lingering aftertaste–
The fairy, with a little fairy snarl, gives you the finger–
And is gone.

You don’t know.

You don’t know if it was her.

The Alternative:
Fight the Invincible Robot!

[Now, let’s back up.  What if you want to vince the Invincible Robot?

[Well, you can move around the entire map with the Robot following you.  First we’ll look at what happens if you fight and lose.  Then, under its own subhead, we’ll see what happens when you fight and win.

While the Robot is following you, if you move into the Bottom of the Well Tower here’s where you end up…]

You are at the bottom of the bell tower.  A rickety spiral stairway leads up the inside of the tower — a long way up.  A huge cracked bell is here.  Also here are the cross.  You can move west, up and in.  The Robot marches in  from the west.
-COME. COME. PATHETIC. HUMAN.- The Robot grates.  -STOP. SCREWING. AROUND.-

>take cross
The Robot slaps the cross out of your hand!
-TSK. TSK.-

-BRING. ME. TO. THE. CYBERCOW. – NOW.-

>up
You move up.
You are at the top of the church’s bell tower.  A rickety spiral staircase leads down to the ground.  The empty bell chassis has marks on it you noticed when you were untying the rope.  You can move down and out.  The Robot marches in  from below.

>out
You move out.
You can see the chapel yard and the well directly below.  To the east, as if in miniature, the little cottage; to the west the wide expanse of meadow.  Down the hill, past the well to the north, you can see the bus stop.  From here, it all looks very small.  The top of the steeple has broken, and rotten wood beams sticking out at funny angles.
It is daytime.  You can only move in.  The Robot marches in  from inside.

>save
Saving current game… done.
Game saved.

[We’ll try doing it wrong a few ways…]

>push robot
The Invincible Robot falls six stories to the yard below!

Chalk one up for you! — There’s no way the invincible robot could have survived that impact.

>look
You can see the chapel yard and the well directly below.  To the east, as if in miniature, the little cottage; to the west the wide expanse of meadow.  Down the hill, past the well to the north, you can see the bus stop.  From here, it all looks very small.  The top of the steeple has broken, and rotten wood beams sticking out at funny angles.
It is daytime.  You can only move in.
In the yard down below, the Robot slowly gets to its feet.

>look
You can see the chapel yard and the well directly below.  To the east, as if in miniature, the little cottage; to the west the wide expanse of meadow.  Down the hill, past the well to the north, you can see the bus stop.  From here, it all looks very small.  The top of the steeple has broken, and rotten wood beams sticking out at funny angles.
It is daytime.  You can only move in.
In the yard down below, the Robot marches into the chapel.

>in
You move in.
You are at the top of the church’s bell tower.  A rickety spiral staircase leads down to the ground.  The empty bell chassis has marks on it you noticed when you were untying the rope.  You can move down and out.

>d
You move down.
You are at the bottom of the bell tower.  A rickety spiral stairway leads up the inside of the tower — a long way up.  A huge cracked bell is here.  Also here are the cross.  You can move west, up and in.
You hear the Robot approaching…

>take cross
You pick up the cross.

>in
You are in the huge cracked churchbell.  (Step careful here:  it rolls dangerously.)  You can only move out.
You hear the Robot enter the Bottom of the Bell Tower.

>z
You pause a moment…

You hear, from inside the bell, that the Robot is crossing the room — it has its back toward you until it begins climbing the spiral staircase.

>out
You are at the bottom of the bell tower.  A rickety spiral stairway leads up the inside of the tower — a long way up.  A huge cracked bell is here.
The Robot is here.  You can move west, up and in.
-COME. COME. PATHETIC. HUMAN.- The Robot grates.  -STOP. SCREWING. AROUND.-

>hit robot with cross
Raising the cross like a baseball bat, you stove in the head of the invincible robot!
The Invincible Robot staggers from the blow!  The Robot looks at you–

>hit robot with cross
You raise the cross like a baseball bat — and the Robot knocks the cross to the ground!  (I guess its guard was up…)
-YOU’RE. IN. TROUBLE.- The Robot says.
The Robot hits you!
— You land in a crumpled little heap, your mind not having grasped the force of the blow–
Lights out.
You wake up in agony, coughing uncontrollably, with the Robot standing over you.

-LUCKY. FOR. YOU. YOU. STILL. ARE. USEFUL.- The Robot grates:  -TAKE. ME. TO. THE. CYBERCOW.-
-BRING. ME. TO. THE. CYBERCOW. – NOW.-

>up
You move up.
You are at the top of the church’s bell tower.  A rickety spiral staircase leads down to the ground.  The empty bell chassis has marks on it you noticed when you were untying the rope.  You can move down and out.  The Robot marches in  from below.

>out
You move out.
You can see the chapel yard and the well directly below.  To the east, as if in miniature, the little cottage; to the west the wide expanse of meadow.  Down the hill, past the well to the north, you can see the bus stop.  From here, it all looks very small.  The top of the steeple has broken, and rotten wood beams sticking out at funny angles.
It is daytime.  You can only move in.  The Robot marches in  from inside.

>push robot
The Robot grabs your wrist!
-I. COULD. SNAP. YOUR. WRIST. LIKE. A. TWIG. PATHETIC. HUMAN.-

>in
You move in.
You are at the top of the church’s bell tower.  A rickety spiral staircase leads down to the ground.  The empty bell chassis has marks on it you noticed when you were untying the rope.  You can move down and out.  The Robot marches in  from outside.

>d
You move down.
You are at the bottom of the bell tower.  A rickety spiral stairway leads up the inside of the tower — a long way up.  A huge cracked bell is here.  Also here are the cross.  You can move west, up and in.  The Robot marches in  from above.
-COME. COME. PATHETIC. HUMAN.- The Robot grates.  -STOP. SCREWING. AROUND.-

>take cross
The Robot slaps the cross out of your hand!
-TSK. TSK.-

>restore
Loading game… done.
You can see the chapel yard and the well directly below.  To the east, as if in miniature, the little cottage; to the west the wide expanse of meadow.  Down the hill, past the well to the north, you can see the bus stop.  From here, it all looks very small.  The top of the steeple has broken, and rotten wood beams sticking out at funny angles.
The Robot is here.
It is daytime.
You can only move in.

>push robot
The Invincible Robot falls six stories to the yard below!

Chalk one up for you! — There’s no way the invincible robot could have survived that impact.

>look
You can see the chapel yard and the well directly below.  To the east, as if in miniature, the little cottage; to the west the wide expanse of meadow.  Down the hill, past the well to the north, you can see the bus stop.  From here, it all looks very small.  The top of the steeple has broken, and rotten wood beams sticking out at funny angles.
It is daytime.  You can only move in.
In the yard down below, the Robot slowly gets to its feet.

[…]

You are at the bottom of the bell tower.  A rickety spiral stairway leads up the inside of the tower — a long way up.  A huge cracked bell is here.  Also here are the cross.  You can move west, up and in.
You hear the Robot approaching…

>take cross
You pick up the cross.

>in
You are in the huge cracked churchbell.  (Step careful here:  it rolls dangerously.)  You can only move out.
You hear the Robot enter the Bottom of the Bell Tower.

>z
You pause a moment…

You hear, from inside the bell, that the Robot is crossing the room — it has its back toward you until it begins climbing the spiral staircase.

>out
You are at the bottom of the bell tower.  A rickety spiral stairway leads up the inside of the tower — a long way up.  A huge cracked bell is here.
The Robot is here.  You can move west, up and in.
-COME. COME. PATHETIC. HUMAN.- The Robot grates.  -STOP. SCREWING. AROUND.-

>hit robot with cross
Raising the cross like a baseball bat, you stove in the head of the invincible robot!
The Invincible Robot staggers from the blow!  The Robot looks at you–

>hit bell with cross
-NO. YOU. DONT.- Grates the Robot.
It slaps the cross out of your hand!
-BRING. ME. TO. THE. CYBERCOW. – NOW.-

>take cross
The Robot slaps the cross out of your hand!
-TSK. TSK.-

>restore
Loading game… done.

[OK, so you push the Robot, you take the cross and hide in the bell…]

You hear, from inside the bell, that the Robot is crossing the room — it has its back toward you until it begins climbing the spiral staircase.

>out
You are at the bottom of the bell tower.  A rickety spiral stairway leads up the inside of the tower — a long way up.  A huge cracked bell is here.
The Robot is here.  You can move west, up and in.
-COME. COME. PATHETIC. HUMAN.- The Robot grates.  -STOP. SCREWING. AROUND.-

>hit bell with cross
Raising the cross like a baseball bat, you hit the bell.  It makes a “BONG!  BONG!  BONGngngngng” sound that deafens the Robot!

The Robot reels as if drunk!

>hit robot with cross
Raising the cross like a baseball bat, you stove in the head of the invincible robot!
The Invincible Robot staggers from the blow!
-BRING. ME. TO. THE. CYBERCOW. – NOW.-

>hit robot with cross
Raising the cross like a baseball bat, you hit the robot a second time!
The Invincible Robot falls to the ground, but immediately begins to rise–
The Robot seems to clear its head, more by sheer determination than anything else.
There is a searing ray of light–
The Robot has destroyed the cross!
-I. GROW. TIRED. OF. YOUR. GAMES. – HUMAN. – The Robot says:  -NEXT. TIME. I. USE. MY. RAY. WEAPON. ON. YOU.-

[Now, in all of these cases, you’ve failed this puzzle and closed off the opportunity to solve it successfully, but you haven’t died.  Therefore you still have the option of bringing the Robot to the CyberCow.

Now, one last time…]

Fight the Robot and Win

You hear, from inside the bell, that the Robot is crossing the room — it has its back toward you until it begins climbing the spiral staircase.

>out
You are at the bottom of the bell tower.  A rickety spiral stairway leads up the inside of the tower — a long way up.  A huge cracked bell is here.
The Robot is here.  You can move west, up and in.

>hit bell
Raising the cross like a baseball bat, you hit the bell.  It makes a “BONG!  BONG!  BONGngngngng” sound that deafens the Robot!

The Robot reels as if drunk!

>hit robot
Raising the cross like a baseball bat, you stove in the head of the invincible robot!
The Invincible Robot staggers from the blow!

>hit robot
Raising the cross like a baseball bat, you hit the robot a second time!
The Invincible Robot falls to the ground, but immediately begins to rise–

>hit robot
You hit the Robot a third time–
The Invincible Robot has stopped moving.

>look
You are at the bottom of the bell tower.  A rickety spiral stairway leads up the inside of the tower — a long way up.  A huge cracked bell is here.  Also here are the cross and the robot hulk.  You can move west, up and in.

>x robot hulk
The smashed, crumpled remains of the robot.  The access panel is on the robot hulk.

>x access panel
The panel is closed.

>open panel
You open the access panel.  A dead fairy is inside the access panel.

>take fairy
You gingerly extract Vluurinik from the Robot hulk.  Sharp little features, short green dress…  Horrible little…  hm.

>w
You move west.
You are inside the local House of God.  You can move north, east and south.

>pray
As you recall, fairies are outside of divine providence.  It’s a nice thought, though…

>x fairy
It’s hard to know exactly how you know, but you know.

>n
You move north.
You are at the well.   The rope, which is tied to the well quite securely, leads down.  Your humble abode is to the east.  Fields are to the west.  The chapel is on top of the hill to the north.  Down the hill to the south there is the bus stop.
It is daytime.  You can move north, east, south, west and down.

>d
Holding the dead Vluurinik, you climb down the well.
The CyberCow trots immediately over to you.
The CyberCow, with hot, pungent breath, snuffles around your person.

>w
The CyberCow blocks you!
The CyberCow nuzzles you.

>i
You are carrying the dead fairy.
The CyberCow tosses its head and snorts.

>give fairy to cybercow
The CyberCow takes up the dead fairy in its mouth (you’re afraid for a moment it will gobble her up like a snail), rests her on the ground, lays down, and weeps.

>take fairy
Whoah —
The CyberCow just *snarled* at you.

[Then, you go into the lair and complete as before.  This time, when you give the fairy the raspberry…]

The fairy circles behind you, bumps you in the top of the head once —
And is gone.
  –It takes you a good long moment to realize what happened:
The fairy examined you from all angles —
And then, in the only place she considered safe, she kissed you.  And then left.

It wasn’t her.

[Walking Around - Solving Puzzles - Endings]
Advertisements
Published on February 4, 2010 at 2:13 pm  Comments (1)  

The URI to TrackBack this entry is: https://onewetsneaker.wordpress.com/lair-of-the-cybercow-index/lotcc-endings/trackback/

RSS feed for comments on this post.

One CommentLeave a comment

  1. […] Endings – The two finales, where all is explained.  Or as explained as it ever will be. […]


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s