LOTCC – Solving Puzzles

[Walking Around - Solving Puzzles - Endings]

Meet the CyberCow

You are at the top of the church’s bell tower.  A rickety spiral staircase leads down to the ground.  The empty bell chassis has a rope tied to an armature to permit ringing.  You can move down and out.

>i
You are carrying a note, the bowl, a snail and the flashlight.

>read note
Frank — climb the tower — I taped it to the inside of th

>look
You are at the top of the church’s bell tower.  A rickety spiral staircase leads down to the ground.  The empty bell chassis has a rope tied to an armature to permit ringing.  You can move down and out.

>d
You move down.
You are at the bottom of the bell tower.  A rickety spiral stairway leads up the inside of the tower — a long way up.  West returns to the chapel proper.  A huge cracked bell is here.  The end of a rope dangles here.  You can move west and up.

>x bell
The huge cracked church bell rests upright on the floor, on its rim.  It has a good-sized chink missing.

>look in chink
It’s a good-sized chunk missing out of the bell’s rim:  you fit your toe into it exprimentally.

>push bell
The bell is far too heavy for you to move with your bare hands.

>up
You move up.
You are at the top of the church’s bell tower.  A rickety spiral staircase leads down to the ground.  The empty bell chassis has a rope tied to an armature to permit ringing.  You can move down and out.

>x rope
One end of the rope is tied to the empty bell chassis here; the other leads down into darkness.

>untie rope
It’s kind of a hassle, but you manage to untie the rope from the scratched-up bell chassis.  It falls down the central shaft.

>x chassis
Peering closer, they are indeed little scratch marks around the bolts which presumably once secured the church bell.

>look
You are at the top of the church’s bell tower.  A rickety spiral staircase leads down to the ground.  The empty bell chassis has marks on it you noticed when you were untying the rope.  You can move down and out.

>d
You move down.
You are at the bottom of the bell tower.  A rickety spiral stairway leads up the inside of the tower — a long way up.  West returns to the chapel proper.  A huge cracked bell is here.  Also here is the rope.  You can move west and up.

>x rope
Pretty hefty.

>take it
You pick up the rope.

>x bell
The huge cracked church bell rests upright on the floor, on its rim.  It has a good-sized chink missing.

>w
You move west.
You are inside the local House of God.  You can move north, east and south.

>n
You move north.
You are at the well.  You have fond childhood memories of this well, although none of them are occurring to you right now.  Your humble abode is to the east.  Fields are to the west.  The chapel is on top of the hill to the south.  Down the hill to the north there is the bus stop.
Vluurinik flits around.
It is daytime.  You can move north, east, south and west.

>ask fairy about bell
The fairy laughs and laughs and laughs.

>x well
Can you see something glint down there–?  Some kind of motion–?

>throw rope down well
You throw the rope down the well.

>look
You are at the well.  You have fond childhood memories of this well, although none of them are occurring to you right now.  Your humble abode is to the east.  Fields are to the west.  The chapel is on top of the hill to the south.  Down the hill to the north there is the bus stop.  Also here is the rope.

[In other words, the game just cheats there to prevent the player from creating an unwinnable situation.]

>take rope
You pick up the rope.

>tie rope to well
You tie the rope to the well.
You are at the well.   One end of the rope is tied to the well quite securely; the rest lies on the ground.  Your humble abode is to the east.  Fields are to the west.  The chapel is on top of the hill to the south.  Down the hill to the north there is the bus stop.
It is night-time.  Crickets chirp in the darkness.  You can move north, east, south and west.

>throw rope down well
You throw the rope down the well.

>look
You are at the well.   The rope, which is tied to the well quite securely, leads down.  Your humble abode is to the east.  Fields are to the west.  The chapel is on top of the hill to the south.  Down the hill to the north there is the bus stop.
It is night-time.  Crickets chirp in the darkness.  You can move north, east, south, west and down.

>d
You move down.
You are standing at the bottom of the town well.  The ground is slightly moist here.  The end of the rope dangles here, providing you with a way back up.  To the west you can see the narrow entrance to the CyberCow’s lair.
The CyberCow is here.  You can move west and up.

>x cybercow
The CyberCow’s right eye has been replaced by a redly glowing lense deeply embedded in its skull — probably night vision, or infrared, you’d guess.  You can tell by this and a thousand other indicators that this is no ordinary CyberCow; just as you can tell by the “I (heart) snailz” tattoo that it has been radically customized.

>ask cow about cow
“Moooo….”

>ask cow about me
In solemn, reverberating tones, the CyberCow replies, “What could I tell you about yourself, Frank, that you couldn’t tell yourself about me?”  The CyberCow falls suddenly silent, making you uncertain whether it had spoken at all.

>ask cybercow about robot
The CyberCow gives you a hurt, betrayed look.

>ask cybercow about fairy
The CyberCow nuzzles you.

>ask cybercow about me
In solemn, reverberating tones, the CyberCow replies, “What could I tell you about yourself, Frank, that you couldn’t tell yourself about me?”  The CyberCow falls suddenly silent, making you uncertain whether it had spoken at all.

>ask cow about snails
The CyberCow gives you a quizzical look.

>look
You are standing at the bottom of the town well.  The ground is slightly moist here.  The end of the rope dangles here, providing you with a way back up.  To the west you can see the narrow entrance to the CyberCow’s lair.
The CyberCow is here.  You can move west and up.

>w
The CyberCow blocks your path!

Milk the CyberCow

>i
You are carrying a note, the bowl, a snail and the flashlight.

>give snail to cow
The CyberCow sticks out its tongue and snatches up the snail, which it gobbles up in a spectacular display of crunching and slurping.
The CyberCow gives you a look, as if inviting you to try some for yourself.

>x cow
The CyberCow’s right eye has been replaced by a redly glowing lense deeply embedded in its skull — probably night vision, or infrared, you’d guess.  You can tell by this and a thousand other indicators that this is no ordinary CyberCow; just as you can tell by the “I (heart) snailz” tattoo that it has been radically customized.

>i
You are carrying a note, the bowl and the flashlight.

>x bowl
A deep, white bowl, of the kind one might use for breakfast cereal.

>milk cow
While the CyberCow continues crunching and slurping delightedly on the snail, you fill the bowl with warm, fragrant CyberCow milk.

>x bowl
The bowl is filled with warm, frothing CyberCow milk.

>drink milk
You slurp down just a mouthful, and that’s enough for a lifetime.

>again
Once was enough.

>up
That’s a bit of a trick carrying a warm bowl of fresh, frothing CyberCow milk — but you manage it.
You are at the well.   The rope, which is tied to the well quite securely, leads down.  Your humble abode is to the east.  Fields are to the west.  The chapel is on top of the hill to the south.  Down the hill to the north there is the bus stop.

[You can now catch the fairy; but first, we’ll …]

Find the Plans

You are at the bottom of the bell tower.  A rickety spiral stairway leads up the inside of the tower — a long way up.  West returns to the chapel proper.  A huge cracked bell is here.  You can move west and up.

>x bell
The huge cracked church bell rests upright on the floor, on its rim.  It has a good-sized chink missing.

>read note
Frank — climb the tower — I taped it to the inside of th

>push bell
The bell is far too heavy for you to move with your bare hands.

>x crack
It’s a good-sized chunk missing out of the bell’s rim:  you fit your toe into it exprimentally.

>up
You move up.
You are at the top of the church’s bell tower.  A rickety spiral staircase leads down to the ground.  The empty bell chassis has marks on it you noticed when you were untying the rope.  You can move down and out.

>out
You move out.
You can see the chapel yard and the well directly below.  To the east, as if in miniature, the little cottage; to the west the wide expanse of meadow.  Down the hill, past the well to the north, you can see the bus stop.  From here, it all looks very small.  The cross attached to the steeple is slightly crooked.

>push cross
With a splitting sound, the huge cross tumbles down off the steeple to the ground below!  You can see where it landed, quite close to the well.

>in
You move in.
You are at the top of the church’s bell tower.  A rickety spiral staircase leads down to the ground.  The empty bell chassis has marks on it you noticed when you were untying the rope.  You can move down and out.

>d
You move down.
You are at the bottom of the bell tower.  A rickety spiral stairway leads up the inside of the tower — a long way up.  West returns to the chapel proper.  A huge cracked bell is here.  You can move west and up.

>w
You move west.
You are inside the local House of God.  You can move north, east and south.

>n
You move north.
You are at the well.   The rope, which is tied to the well quite securely, leads down.  Your humble abode is to the east.  Fields are to the west.  The chapel is on top of the hill to the south.  Down the hill to the north there is the bus stop.  Also here are the heavy cross.
You can move north, east, south, west and down.

>x cross
This is the huge metal cross from the church steeple.  Only slightly smaller than you are, and hea-avy.

>take it
You pick up the heavy cross.

[… movement omitted …]

You are at the bottom of the bell tower.  A rickety spiral stairway leads up the inside of the tower — a long way up.  West returns to the chapel proper.  A huge cracked bell is here.  You can move west and up.

>hit bell with cross
Raising the cross like a baseball bat, you strike the bell.  It makes a dull clanking sound.

>turn over bell with the cross
Sliding the cross between the bell and the floor through a chink in the bell’s rim, you pryyyyyy — Oh GOD that’s heavy! — the bell onto its side.  As the huge church bell topples onto its side, it makes a BONG-BONG-BOONGGG!ing sound which nearly deafens you!

[‘Flip bell with cross,’ works there too, as do several other phrasings.] 

>look
You are at the bottom of the bell tower.  A rickety spiral stairway leads up the inside of the tower — a long way up.  West returns to the chapel proper.  A huge cracked bell is here.  Also here are the heavy cross.  You can move west, up and in.

>x bell
The huge cracked bell rests on its side.

>in
You move in.
You are in the huge cracked churchbell.  (Step careful here:  it rolls dangerously.)  You can see something taped to the inside of the bell.  You can only move out.

>x thing
It’s a packet of some kind that’s been taped to the inside of the bell.

>take packet
You unpeel the packet from the side of the bell.

>out
You move out.
You are at the bottom of the bell tower.  A rickety spiral stairway leads up the inside of the tower — a long way up.  West returns to the chapel proper.  A huge cracked bell is here.  Also here are the heavy cross.  You can move west, up and in.

>x packet
This is the packet you found taped to the inside of the church bell.  It looks like you could unfold it.

>read note
Frank — climb the tower — I taped it to the inside of th

>unfold packet
The packet unfolds into plans for building an invincible robot.  According to this, construction is all but complete.

>take cross
You pick up the heavy cross.

>w
Really, this cross is way-heavy:  you can’t be carrying it through the whole game.  It’ll tucker you out.

>drop it
You drop the heavy cross.

>x packet
This is the packet you found taped to the inside of the church bell.  It looks like you could unfold it.

>read note
Frank — climb the tower — I taped it to the inside of th

>unfold packet
The packet unfolds into plans for building an invincible robot.  According to this, construction is all but complete.

Meet the Fairy

[The fairy comes and goes under her own steam.  She’ll leave while you’re talking to her.  Here we’re condensing down several interactions…]

It is daytime.  You can only move east.  Vluurinik flies in.

>x vluurinik
Dreadful little thing — short green dress, translucent bug wings, sharp features.  Dirty-blond hair — Gives you the willies.

>catch fairy

OW!
–She *bit* you!

>talk to fairy
Please use the format:  ASK [character] ABOUT [word]

>ask fairy about fairy
The fairy smiles brightly for a second.

>ask vluurinik about me
The fairy looks at you askance.

>ask fairy about bell
The fairy laughs and laughs and laughs.

>ask vluurinik about cottage
Without actually moving, the fairy seems to shrug.

>ask vluurinik about tinkerbell
Now that is a pissed-off fairy you’re seeing.

>ask vluurinik about cross
The fairy doesn’t look at you or respond in any way, but you have the sense that she is keenly aware of you, that she has understood you completely and is tracking your every move.

>ask vluurinik about robot
–Did Vluurinik just roll her eyes?

>ask vluurinik about chapel
The fairy doesn’t look at you or respond in any way, but you have the sense that she is keenly aware of you, that she has understood you completely and is tracking your every move.  

>ask vluurinik about milk
The fairy licks her lips.  Then she darts you a glance and looks away.  Vluurinik flies off to the east. 

Catch the Fairy

 >x bowl
The bowl is filled with warm, frothing CyberCow milk.

You can see the chapel yard and the well directly below.  To the east, as if in miniature, the little cottage; to the west the wide expanse of meadow.  Down the hill, past the well to the north, you can see the bus stop.  From here, it all looks very small.  The top of the steeple has broken, and rotten wood beams sticking out at funny angles.
It is daytime.  You can only move in.

>drop bowl
You drop the bowl.

>z
You pause a moment…
Vluurinik flies in.
Whoah!  That bowl of milk has captured Vluurinik’s attention!
Before you can react, Vluurinik snatches up the bowl of milk and (dropping almost straight down the side of the tower from the weight of the thing, slopping milk everywhere) makes for the meadow!

[You can catch the fairy anywhere she appears; she’ll always go to the meadow.

[..movement omitted..]

Flowers and grass are all around you.  To the east you can see the well in the chapel yard, and beyond that your humble childhood home.  At the top of the hill, southeast of you, you can see the chapel with its steeple, and at the foot of the hill, northeast of you, you can just make out the sign of the bus stop.  Also here is the fairy and the bowl.  Vluurinik darts in circles.
It is daytime.  You can only move east.

>x fairy
The fairy darts in circles around the warm bowl of CyberCow milk.

>catch fairy
The fairy squirms in your grip.

>x fairy
Vluurinik struggles between your fingers.  She seems terrified of something.

[..to the cottage..]

Your humble childhood home.  Next to the mailbox, the door west leads outside.  There is a cupboard here, which you recall generally not having cookies.  There is a couch here.  You can only move west.

>open cupboard
The cupboard is already open!

>put fairy in cupboard
You put the fairy inside the cupboard.

>close cupboard
You close the cupboard.

[Now there are a number of things you can do here…]

>open cupboard
You open the cupboard.  The fairy is inside the cupboard.

>take fairy
You take the fairy from the cupboard.

>x fairy
Vluurinik struggles between your fingers.  She seems terrified of something.

>let fairy go
The fairy circles out of reach and gives you a very dirty look.

>x fairy
You cannot see Vluurinik from here.

[She returns to the meadow, where you can catch her again.

Alternatively…]

>open cupboard
You open the cupboard.  The fairy is inside the cupboard.

>take fairy
You take the fairy from the cupboard.

>ask fairy about robot
You get no reply from the fairy.

>ask fairy about power source
You get no reply from the fairy.

>x fairy
Vluurinik struggles between your fingers.  She seems terrified of something.

>eat fairy
*urp*

>x fairy
You cannot see Vluurinik from here.

>i
You are carrying the little bones, the little wings, a note and the flashlight.

>x little bones
Yeah, that was good.

[If you played the game like that, you never got to the CyberCow’s lair…  here’s why.]

Fix the Robot

>x couch
The couch is a pale green velvety plaid, suitable for most purposes.  One of these modern, lightweight deals.

>move couch
Moving the couch reveals a cleverly-hidden trapdoor!

>x trapdoor
The trapdoor leads down to the cellar, where the workshop is.

>d
You move down.
The work space around the well-lit table in the center of the room remains clear, although cobwebs and dirt have claimed the periphery of the room.  A ladder in one corner leads to the trapdoor.  Also here is the robot.  You can only move up.

>x robot
The partially completed robot lying here on the table is made mostly out of cardboard boxes and styrofoam, duck taped and wired together.  The controls have been drawn on carefully with black magic marker.  It only needs a little more work.

>work on robot
Building invincible robots isn’t in your line.  You’d need some instructions or something.

[..later..]

>x plans
Plans for building the invincible robot.

>fix robot
Spreading out the plans so you can consult them, you set to work finishing the robot.
The invincible robot is now complete.

>x robot
The cardboard and styrofoam robot is structurally complete, but needs a power source to be installed in its yawning chest cavity.

>x cavity
Looking at the chest cavity and trying to figure out what kind of thing the Robot would need as a power source, you see that the space is narrower, but longer, than your fist, and strangely shaped because of a flange that half-enters from one side.  But you can’t tell what exactly it would take, no.

>x plans
Plans for building an invincible robot.
Hey, there’s something written on them–

>read plans
The plans seem pretty thorough.  Oh, here’s a note in the margin:

“INCOMPATIBLE PWR SRCE will be rendered wrng size to fit by cmptbly flange–“

Huh.

>i
You are carrying a note and the flashlight.

>x flashlight
It’s a normal, everyday flashlight.

>put flashlight in cavity
No matter which way you turn it, the flashlight simply *will* not fit into the robot’s yawing chest cavity.  Apparently the flashlight won’t work as a power source.

>x flashlight
It’s a normal, everyday flashlight.

>open flashlight
No, it’s one of those flashlights where the batteries can’t be removed.

[…]

>put fairy into robot
You put the terrified, struggling fairy into the yawning chest cavity of the robot and seal her in.  There is moment of silence…

The robot grabs your arm and twists it behind your back!
-PATHETIC. HUMAN.-SAY. UNCLE.-

>no
The parser couldn’t relate that to the game situation..  The robot grabs your arm and twists it behind your back!
-SAY. UNCLE.- Robot commands.
-SAY. IT.-

>no
-SAY. IT.-     -SAY. IT.-     -SAY. IT.-

>aunt
-SAY. IT.-     -SAY. IT.-     -SAY. IT.-

>uncle
-I. THOUGHT. SO. – YOU. ARE. WEAK. – LIKE. ALL. HUMANS.-
The robot seems smug.
-WHY. DID. YOU. CONSTRUCT. ME. PATHETIC. HUMAN.- The Robot demands.
You are being telepathically probed!  —

>up
—  -CYBERCOW? – WHAT. IS. THIS. CYBERCOW. PLANNING.-
You can feel the harsh mechanical examination of your most private thoughts.  —

>go away
—  -TAKE. ME. TO. THE.CYBERCOW. – NOW.-
The Robot seems to enjoy this experience.  —

>up
—  The Robot releases you with a mean little shove.  The work space around the well-lit table in the center of the room remains clear, although cobwebs and dirt have claimed the periphery of the room.  A ladder in one corner leads to the trapdoor.  Also here are the plans.
The Robot is here.  The Robot seems to be enjoying this experience.
-YOU. WILL. TAKE. ME. TO. THE. CYBERCOW. – NOW. –

>up
You move up.
Your humble childhood home.  Next to the mailbox, the door west leads outside.  There is a cupboard here, which you recall generally not having cookies.  There is a couch here, which used to cleverly hide a trapdoor.  You can move west and down.  The Robot marches in  from below.

>open cupboard
The cupboard is already open!
-COME. COME. PATHETIC. HUMAN.- The Robot grates.  -STOP. SCREWING. AROUND.-

[Now, if you ate the fairy, you’ll get this instead…]

>put bones into robot
You install the bones as the robot’s power source, and seal up the access panel.  There is moment of silence…
And with a sound like two large stones grinding together, the Robot comes to life!
It sits up slowly and looks at you.  It speaks!
It says:  -DEATH.-

>talk to robot
Please use the format:  ASK [character] ABOUT [word]
-KILL- The Robot says. -KILL.-

>ask robot to calm down
-KLIMKLI- *click!* -Frank- Whirrr…

>up
You move up.
Your humble childhood home.  Next to the mailbox, the door west leads outside.  There is a cupboard here, which you recall generally not having cookies.  There is a couch here, which used to cleverly hide a trapdoor.
The berserk robot pursues you!  You can move west and down.
-DEATH.- Says the Robot.

>hit robot
You had best get away from this thing.  There is a blinding, searing ray of light–

You have died.
You scored 9 out of the maximum 10!
That is 90% of the game…

[Otherwise, there are two possible endings you can get, in which you reach the CyberCow’s lair.]

[Walking Around - Solving Puzzles - Endings]
Published on February 4, 2010 at 1:40 pm  Comments (1)  

The URI to TrackBack this entry is: https://onewetsneaker.wordpress.com/lair-of-the-cybercow-index/lotcc-solving-puzzles/trackback/

RSS feed for comments on this post.

One CommentLeave a comment

  1. […] Solving Puzzles – Most of the game, with one game-ending variant (Why is the fairy afraid of you?). […]


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s